Are you ready for your annual year-end campaign?
Posted by Heather Cox
Planning and managing a year-end campaign may not be quick and easy, but it is pretty simple. I’ve put together a basic framework, month by month, that you can use to manage your year-end giving appeal.
- Set campaign goals
- Set a begin and end date for the campaign (hint: the end date should be in early January)
- Get organizational buy-in from your web team, marketing team and all decision-makers
- Request/negotiate some real estate on your home page for the campaign
- Concept and write the messaging for all components of the campaign
- Determine distribution of messaging (email, direct mail, web site and social, for example)
- Write all “thank you copy” and determine means of distribution (phone calls, handwritten notes, email)
- Write post-campaign copy to try to lift donations early in the new year
- Connect with donors — send an impact statement, annual report or share a win via email, DM or video
- Creative implementation: design direct mail, email campaign, banner ads, home page popup, new-year ask, thank you cards and shoot video
- Design and print holiday card
- Launch campaign
- First direct mail appeal drops
- Send HTML email immediately afterward (with consistent messaging)
- Be sure the home page popup is live (also with consistent messaging)
- Distribute a video via your social channels (this could be a simple, interview-style video)
- Send holiday card
- Second direct mail appeal drops
- Email appeal with same messaging
- Takeover the entire home page with a full size lightbox, if possible, with your year end appeal during the last two weeks.
- Follow up with 3 final emails, with the last 2 mailing after December 25, and message “get your tax writeoff before the end of the year”
- Apologize for the last minute blitz of emails — explain that you felt it was necessary to break through the noise in everyone’s email box. Explain that even though they missed the deadline, they can still make a donation.
- That’s it! You’re done!
The team at MillerCox can help with your nonprofit with messaging and creative implementation. Just give us a ring at (301) 933 4062 to talk about your goals.
6 Strategies for
Proven steps to keep publication projects on track, eliminate surprises, and ensure successful outcomes.